WFYI Public Media is looking for an innovative editor to drive digital content and experiment with new ways to reach audiences through our public engagement-driven health and education journalism. All WFYI journalism initiatives investigate the intersections of people and policy, and you will be a key player in fortifying high-impact journalism with our Side Effects Public Media health reporting team and new education team, focused on systemic inequities in public education and health systems.
On any given day, you could find yourself creating graphics to explain a proposed school funding model or building an explainer for social media about the governor’s new pandemic-related policies.
WFYI is Central Indiana’s leading non-commercial media outlet, NPR and PBS station, and home to a team of 35 reporters, editors and engagement specialists covering the most vital issues in Indiana.
The digital editor for health and education is based in Indianapolis, although initially they may work remotely due to the coronavirus pandemic, and reports to the WFYI News Director.
Full-time (three-year grant funded position).
Salary is commensurate with experience.
You will be a principal part of daily operations by collaborating with editorial teams to plan coverage for digital platforms.
- Publish and package education and health articles and audio reports on the WFYI and Side Effects Public Media websites. This includes adding links, photos, slideshows, and curating content on the websites and social media platforms.
- Edit daily articles for online style in coordination with the news director and editors.
- Create graphics, databases, alternative-format stories, and edit photos and videos for breaking news and in-depth reporting and investigations.
- Collaborate with reporters and audience engagement specialists so digital strategies respond to audience input. That product will include integrated digital presentations for online and mobile platforms, Facebook Lives, data visualization components, and Q&A’s that answer questions sourced from social media and other tools.
- Collaborates with other digital team members to develop strategies to increase our audience on websites and social media.
- Value, contribute to and sustain WFYI’s commitment to a culture of belonging that sees our culture’s history of power and privilege and seeks to balance that with the inclusion of many diverse experiences and perspectives.
- Schedule flexibility (some evenings, weekends and holidays work).
- Good natured and wants to be part of an ambitious, hardworking team.
- Three years experience editing and website content management experience preferred.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and work under deadline pressure.
- Demonstrated proficiency in all facets of online content production, including writing and AP Style, audio and video production, and photography and photo editing.
- Knowledge of SEO principles and best practices.
- Experience and understanding of social and web analytics, and how to apply analytics data for decision-making and audience growth.
To apply, go here.